Rylee had been planning on going to Sweethearts (girl ask guy dance) since her 15th birthday. She said to me then, "Mom, can you believe at this time next year I'll be able to go to Sweethearts?!"
That day had finally arrived. She hemmed and hawed about who she should ask. She kinda had someone in mind, but worried that he might have a date or that he kind of liked someone else. With her friend's encouragement she finally decided to ask him...Matt Roll.
Being the planner she is, she wanted to make sure she asked him several weeks in advance and in a creative, fun way. We scoured Pinterest, as well as other internet sources, to find a cute way to ask. The one she decided on was not necessarily unique or new to me..but still cute.
She came to me the day of and said, "Mom, I need lots of circles." We punched out dozens and dozens of circles together. I also helped her with making signs to put on the poster.
With the poster complete and extra circles in hand, she and her friend Sarah went to his house to decorate.
The initial plan was to decorate his front door, but when his mom saw what they wanted to do, she invited them in to decorate his bedroom. So they spotted his mirror..
his floor..
his wall..
..and his bedroom door. Then threw Hershey kisses all over the ground.
"Matt, Now that I've SPOTTED you...and have KISSED the ground you walk on...Will you go to SWEETHEARTS with me???"
For the final touch, balloons and crepe paper.
How could he not say YES to all of this?!
The rest of the story..... Matt came to Rylee the next day at school, with flower in hand. He told her he would love to go to the Sweethearts dance with her, BUT couldn't. Being the big baseball star he is, he had a tournament and would be out-of-town the weekend of the dance. She said he felt so bad, he was almost in tears, when talking to her.
Bummer!
Do you think that stopped her??? No way!
Next...
She rallied and thought of someone else to ask. I was out-of-town visiting my friend Krissi when she came up with her next plan. She texted me a picture of bananas and said she was asking Kyle Ruby. I didn't get the full story, but I guess her initial plan didn't work, so they had to go with plan B ...something to do with bananas???
This is such a FUN..but nerve-racking stage of life as a parent. But I'm actually enjoying teenagerhood (mostly). :)
No comments:
Post a Comment