Saturday, August 2, 2008

ZOOM, ZOOM!

As one of Treyson's birthday gifts, we told him we would take him on a mommy-daddy date to the Meridian Speedway. He was WAY excited to go and was full of questions, as usual. Many of the questions had to do with the cars crashing into the stands. As with the rodeo bull riding, he was concerned about the safety of this adventure.


We're ready for some fast racing action!

Here's Brandon the flag guy.
We learned what each flag color represented; yellow=get ready to start, green= GO!, white=one more lap until the finish, and checkered=finish. The longest race of the evening was 75 laps. Pretty cool to watch.
Jason caught an insulated can holder they were tossing into the crowd. Treyson was a little bummed it wasn't a bear or t-shirt, but was mostly just happy he got some sort of souvenir.
I think these cars were called wind-sprints. They had to get a push to get started, but once going they were LOUD! Each time they raced we would put in our ear plugs so we could stand watching them.

The night we were there, there were a lot of crashes and pile-ups, (I guess more than usual). You probably can't tell by the picture, but there was a big crash right in front of us, that had atleast 6 cars piled up on top of each other. Each time there was a crash, a team of officials would come inspect the situation and then methodically disassemble the pile of cars with a tow truck and man power. One crash that evening resulted in a racer going to the hospital in the ambulance on site. I believe he was released the next day.
After the race, we went "behind the scenes". We met a few race car drivers, got some autographs and saw the cars up close. One racer knew Jason well from the carwash. His grandson raced that evening. He let Treyson sit in his car.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Hey I am so excited you sent me another invite, now that I have internet at home. Treyson looks like he had a blast on his birthday. Landon totally would have gotten a kick out of that.

Mandy said...

Call me you guys can come over any time. That is exactly why you could not come with us, No Jacob lovers allowed. Although after I read book 4 I like Jacob now. Are you shocked?

A*Waite said...

Looks like fun! That is a cute picture of Treyson with the cup holder.