Tuesday, February 17, 2009

FHE

Last Monday, Taylee was in charge of the lesson for Family Home Evening. I usually like to help or assist my kids in planning and executing the lesson. This time, Taylee said she wanted to do it all on her own.
First, she talked about how Valentine's Day was coming up. She asked us what Valentine's Day meant to us. Some of the answers were; candy, cards, parties, etc. We eventually got around to love and service. Then we did a little activity she had planned. She had written down things for us to talk about or do, on little hearts. We each took turns drawing a heart out and doing what it said. Some of them were;
"Think of why you love somebody. Think of a family memory. Tell why you like Valentine's Day. Talk about somebody. Say the 11th Article of Faith. Why did Taylee do this lesson? Hug someone. Think of someone you love. Act like someone and let the rest try to guess. Think of a memory with Rylee. Think of a memory with mom and dad. What day is coming up? Happy Valentine's Day!"
The activity went over well. I felt the spirit as we expressed our love for one another and as we talked about each other and our good memories. One thing that I thought was so cute was that before we started the activity she reminded us that what we said HAD to be positive and nice. She also made it a point to write it on the activity envelope; "Remember only tell positive things about each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (There were 19 exclamation points after the phrase.)

Next, we brainstormed different things we could do, as service, for our family members.

Then, she handed out little hearts that said, "Happy Valentine's Day!" and challenged us to do acts of service for our family, in the upcoming week. As we did our act of service, we were to leave our heart behind. Then we were to write our service down and put it in the nicely decorated box she had provided. She also let us know that we could do more than ONE service.

Last night, we opened the service box and read all the things we had done for each other. It was fun to see that we ALL participated and even did more than just ONE. Whew!

I'm so proud of Taylee. She did such a wonderful job with the lesson. Maybe I need to back off more often and just let things go.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! What a special treat! Do you think she will come do my FHE?!

Arianne said...

that's very impressive, what a great kid!

KarenWaite said...

Good job, Taylee! I wish my lessons were that good. :)

Teresa said...

I am really impressed. I couldn't come up with that great of a lesson. You had some pretty neat kids.

Lora Dawn said...

oh, that made me cry. i sure do love you, taylee. What a deep heart you have to share with the world

angela said...

Wow, I'm impressed. That was a great lesson.