After cutting our Bear Lake camping short, we headed to Ogden. We spent the night warm and dry at Grandma and Grandpa Smullin's house.
The next day, Jason and Rylee left for home. Jason for work and Rylee for girl's camp. As for the rest of us, we stayed in Ogden. We had a week to hang out, play and sew with Grandma.
Day 1: Sewing 101 & Pillowcases

Grandma laid out the basics of sewing on the sewing machine. One of the first things she said was, "Don't get your fingers too close to the needle or you might hurt yourself by sewing your finger!" This made Treyson a little nervous. He was very stiff and reluctant at first. Grandma realized that maybe the scare tactic was little too much for him.

They each had a little basket full of sewing needs: a pair of scissors, pins, hem gauge and seam ripper. She called the seam ripper their "friend". Treyson was eager to use it. He kept asking, "Can I use my buddy yet?" We tried to explain that using his "buddy" wasn't necessarily a good thing. When his seam wasn't quite straight or if he made a mistake he would say, "It got off task..it got off task!...Can I use my buddy now?"
Before they started sewing, Grandma had them practice on a scrap of fabric. She asked, "What do you think might happen if you didn't test the machine on a practice scrap first?" Treyson said, "It might blow up???"

The finished product.
I made one for Abree and Rylee too.

This was grandma, after the first day of sewing. Do you think there will be a second day?
(Just kidding. It actually went really well. The kids totally enjoyed it and grandma said it wasn't too bad either.)
Day 2: Drawstring Bags

One of the first tasks of this day was to wind the bobbin. Taylee and Treyson loved stepping on the "gas pedal" full throttle.

By day 2, Treyson was less stiff and really having a lot of fun. Taylee was also getting the hang of it and was consistently sewing straight lines and was feeling more confident.

Look what we made!
Grandma even machine embroidered their names on the pockets. Abree filled hers immediately. She put her special blanket inside and some papers and notebook in the outside pocket.

Finished product.
Day 3: Standard Examiner tour

We took a break from sewing and went to visit the Standard Examiner newspaper. My sister-in-law works there and arranged a tour of the plant.
We saw where they had some bundles ready to insert for the next day. Being a couponer, I was curious to know if Melissa got the left over ads. No. Bummer!
Here are the rolls of paper they put on the press. Each roll contained about 10 miles worth of paper! They use around 18-20 rolls a day.

Here's the paper shredder room. They shred and recycle the left over papers.
Cousins; Taylee, Bob, Ethel, Abree, Catie, Jessica, Jeremiah, David and Treyson.
Day 4: Pajama Pants

Abree sat on my lap a few times during sewing time. She was too short to reach the pedal, so I let her help me guide the fabric through the machine. She loved sewing!

When she wasn't helping me, she was doing this. She took all the scraps of fabric and cut them up into little tiny pieces. She did this each day for hours and loved it almost as much as sewing. On the last day, I noticed a few scattered hairs close to the scrap pile. This ended her fun and the scissors were put away. (I couldn't tell by looking at her where she had cut...phew.)

Why was this so much fun? I couldn't tell you.


Taylee's cute bug pjs.

Treyson's puppy pjs.

Abree's princess pjs.

Grandma even found t-shirts to match, in her stockpile of treasures.
We had so much fun this week. Thanks for all the good times and good memories Grandma and Grandpa Smullin! Hope we didn't wear you out too much.
3 comments:
Well everything looks great and I am sooo glad Abree made it out of the experience with some hair!
Lol! I love the picture of Abree through the sewing machine! Your Mom-in-law must like to do the same things mine does (embroidery). She usually has extra t-shirts hanging around, too!
That is so much fun! I need a sewing lesson from Grandma Smullin, too...I just make things up as I go!
Post a Comment