Warning: VERY long post
Jason wanted to do some type of get-a-way, before the kids went back to school. As we were brainstorming ideas of where to go; we first thought of camping... nah, too much work. Then we thought of going to a little town close by... Mountain Home? What's there to do in Mountain Home? Finally, we decided to go to somewhere close... VERY close... Northeast Boise!
We thought it would be fun to show the kids a part of town, they weren't familiar with. I grew up in the East end of Boise and Jason lived there, when we first met. We were excited to show them around our old "stomping grounds". I LOVED the short, sweet drive! Ahhhhh, my idea of traveling.
Sunday evening, we checked into our hotel. After a quick survey of our facility, we noticed how close we were to the Boise River Greenbelt. We were enticed by it's natural beauty and decided to take a little walk.
Our first stop, was at the river's edge to throw a few rocks and admire all the water skipper bugs. --The aroma of cottonwood trees brought back childhood memories, teenage good times and BSU classes, on the Boise River. I kept saying to the kids, "Can you smell that? That's cottonwood." They probably could have cared less. (Doesn't that sound just like a parent? Giving out random information, that kids don't care about. Showing my age I suppose.)
We ended the evening, by watching parts of, "Planet Earth", on the Discovery Channel. We had a big day planned for tomorrow...
We ate our picnic lunch, in the car, and then headed to our next destination... Camel's Back Park.
Ava- "How old are you?"
Abree- "I'm four."
Ava- "Oh, I just turned 6. That means I'm older than you. Stand up, I want to see how old (tall) you are. Yep, I'm older, because I'm bigger, but we can still be friends, huh?"
Abree- "My brother and sister's are bigger than you."
They went on and on. They discussed family members, favorite colors, favorite toys, favorite Disney princesses, what they were going to dress up as for Halloween and more. They both giggled when they discovered that pink and purple were both of their favorite colors.
Our next stop, Julia Davis Park...
As we were headed back, to return the paddle boats, Abree exclaimed, "These aren't much like real boats are they mom? Well, at least they don't look like boats."
Next, we had planned on visiting the Boise Art Museum (or B.A.M. if you're hip) and then possibly the Idaho Historical Museum, but they were both closed on Monday.... and we were there on a Monday. Bummer!
The Boise Public Library was close by. We decided to go there to get out of the heat and check out some books. We were doing our "Smullins Unplugged" week once again, and I knew that we would need extra entertaining enforcements to be successful. Some new books to read would hopefully do the trick.
We dropped off our books in the car, ate dinner in the park, and then headed to Zoo Boise next...
The lion's could have cared less about us this day, but the zebras were alert and friendly.
After a long, hot day outside, we went back to our hotel to swim and cool off. The pool was deeper than we were used to. It went to 10 feet. The older girls wanted to see if they could touch the bottom. I showed them the diving technique, I had learned in swimming lessons, so long ago. (No we didn't dive off the side. I showed them how to bend at the waist, head down and let their feet follow.) Taylee was way excited about touching the bottom. Soon Rylee had joined the fun. Treyson increased his skills, by swimming the length of the pool back and forth several times. (We had to remind him to take breaks and breath every once in a while. Man, he's come a LONG WAY, since 2 summers ago!) Abree mostly hung out on the steps, bouncing from the pool to the hot tub. Like I said, this pool was deeper than what we were used to. By the 3rd step, she was up to her eyeballs in the water, so she really had to stay on the top 2 for comfort (hers and mine).
We all ended up in the hot tub. What a nice way to soothe our tired feet and muscles.
Rylee had an idea about going into the sauna. I told her they weren't that much fun...hot and humid. She really wanted to experience it. She had heard that they could "open up your pores". (She's getting so teenager-ish.) So Rylee, Taylee and I went to "open our pores" and breath hot air for a few minutes, while the others finished their swimming.
After quick showers and pajamas, we played "Cranium", until we were all too tired to think.
Next day, we enjoyed the continental breakfast for the last time, and headed off to the Western Idaho State Fair...
Kachunga, or Dave the gator wrangler, was quite impressive. He wrestled the alligator, put his hand inside of it's mouth, sat on it, and used a long wooden stick to guide and control it.
Later, after Abree and I had gotten off the ride, I found out that one of the "carnies" had let them on the ride for free. It was the beginning of the day and it was fairly slow, so I guess he felt like being generous or stimulating interest in the ride... or maybe he needed more people to balance out the wheel??? Do they have to do that? For whatever reason, it was nice. Treyson talked to me about it later, "You said that we would only get one ride, but we all got 2! Well... I guess you and Abree only got one." At that point I stopped him and asked him to just be grateful and keep it to himself.
The Expo building was next on our list. We voted for "People's Choice" in one of the sections. We loved looking at all the hand crafted, painted, drawn and contructed things and said once again, "We should enter something in the fair next year." Jason and I came to the decision of making it one of our New Year's family goals. Hopefully we won't be saying the same thing next year.
Next we went to see all the animals. One of our favorites is the tiny, baby chicks that are in the incubator. We love to see the hatching in progress.
We also talked to the pigs, sheep and goats. We were there at dinner time and the pigs were going crazy! They were squeeling and stepping up on the gates. It made Abree and Treyson quite nervous. --Treyson is always worried about animals escaping and getting out of their cages and coming to get him. He is especially worried about cows. I'm not exactly sure why, but cows seem scarier to him than even the HUGE draft horses we saw.
We watched a 4-H livestock auction for a little while. It was interesting to Jason and I, but BORING to the kids.
Jason and Rylee took off to go see the live free concert, while the other kids and I went to the hypnotist and then to the magician. They were both ok. The magician was VERY cheesey.
At one point in the show, he invited Treyson to help him with the guillotime act. The magician said that he was going to cut off the lady volunteer's hand. Treyson's job was to kneel on the ground, with his hands out and head down, to catch the falling chopped hand. Treyson was a good sport. He did as instructed. The magician pulled out a fake rubber hand (without Treyson seeing) and dropped it into his hands below. Treyson jumped up, jerked his hands away and yelpped in surprise. The magician had chose the right person to react. Then he showed him it was fake and asked him if he wanted to do it again. Treyson shook his head NO. --Jason and I were proud of Treyson being willing to go up and not freaking out too much when the hand dropped. Giving enough of a reaction, but not over-reacting. He also received a DVD of magic tricks as a thank-you gift. Treyson's excited to watch it.
Rylee and Jason had come back from the concert early. Rylee got a HUGE bloody nose that took some time to get stopped. They even had the fair medical personelle involved. Rylee was wanting to go back to the crowded concert. Jason opted to get out and find us at the magic show.
Next, it was time for the much anticipated "treats".
Abree and I shared an icecream potato and so did Treyson and Taylee. Jason and Rylee opted for the "Tortato", a potato that had been specially "drilled", then fried in oil. It was like eating fresh, hot potato chips. Definitely fair food...greasy yum.
We finished our evening by watching an unusual artist. This artist uses spray paint for his paintings. He's not the usual "tagger", but creates skyscapes and pictures with layers and layers of spray paint. He is quick and very entertaining to watch. To "set" or dry the layers of paint, he takes a lighter and a can of spray paint and lights it on fire. To make harder lines he uses posterboard and cardstock to create templates. We watched him for over an hour... it was that facinating. While we were watching him paint, the local news interviewed him. We saw local celebrity, Scott Dorvall, do the weather on remote. It was so cool.
Close to 11:00pm, we finally headed home.
What a nice few days to spend with our familly. We packed it full and created lots of good memories. You don't need to go far to enjoy spending time together. :o)
Mamma C. are you homesick for Boise yet???
7 comments:
Uh huh---hurrah for the short travel time. Sounds like a blast of a week. I wish I'd gotten to see the spray paint artist. When I was looking at the art displays, I thought there should be some cousin art from our family there. Now I can watch for it next summer.
Sounds like a lot of fun! We took a 'staycation' 10-15 minutes from our house this year in Sundance. It really felt like a vacation but maybe even better because there was no travel hassles. Love it!
What a fun vacation. While I was reading it I was thinking of the places we could go around here. What a great idea. I think we will try it out next summer.
that's a great idea. did you really stay in a hotel downtown? my kids would LOVE that!
Oh how fun. Makes me want to book a hotel and "get away", but not really go anywhere.
What a fun "trip"!!!
I miss Boise so much that it makes me sick. I have given this awful town my all and still want nothing more than to move back. SO this post brought me to tears. What a wonderful town. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Post a Comment