Saturday, March 31, 2012

General Conference

General Conference... two of our favorite times of the year!

I often make up activity packets for my kids to do while they are watching. Usually a note-taking type for the older girls and puzzle and games for the younger 2. This year, I decided they were all old enough to take notes..and have less other type activities. They each received the same packet that had a picture of the apostle/prophet and space to take notes. We also had pictures on the wall. As each person spoke, they took turns placing their picture with their name and then writing down a few things from each talk.

Our Direct TV contract had ended this very week (maybe not the most convenient or best timing) AND the color wheel of our projector t.v. upstairs had broken.... sooooo we had to get a little creative in watching conference.


Plan A- was to watch it on the t.v. in our bedroom, BUT local channels weren't working right yet.

Plan B-watch on my laptop from lds.org.

Not ideal viewing, but really not all that bad either. So grateful for technology.

Later when Jason was home, he figured out how to connect the laptop to the t.v. so we could watch it on a bigger screen. And for the last session, he had finally figured out how to get the local t.v. station working.

Each kiddo made a "spot" (sometimes they have so many pillows and blankets it looks like a nest) for themselves.



Guess who. :)

I have to admit there was a little candy bribery that went on too. After the first congregational hymn, Treyson was the only one to receive candy (the only one beside myself who sang). Next several songs, Abree wanted to receive candy for singing, but I had to inform her she would only get credit for the congregational hymns, not the choir numbers. :) Candy was also distributed to those who participated in writing notes on the posted pictures.


I'm so glad to have this tradition of watching General Conference together as a family. I cherish the time spent together, as well as the guidance/direction we receive from our prophet, apostles and other leaders.

1 comment:

Candice said...

Ahhhh....No Direct TV. How goes the transition? Most days I'm glad we did that.

I like your wall display/notes idea.

Tell Rylee she is beautiful and she should flash that gorgeous smile anytime the camera comes out!