Sunday, May 24, 2009

Red Riding Hood

The Missoula Children's Theatre company was here!
If you haven't heard of these guys, let me tell you a little about them. They are a non-profit play tour company, based out of Missoula, MT. They have 36 teams of two, touring and directing plays, all over the United States, Canada and 14 other countries. They meet the kids on Monday for auditions, intensely practice all week (like 4 1/2 hours every day!) and by Saturday the kids put on a full-blown play; costumes, sets, memorized lines, etc. It's actually quite amazing!

Taylee had the opportunity of being in "Red Riding Hood", loosely based on "Little Red Riding Hood", but much more humorous. She played a "Forest Shadow -Thistle". She had 2 speaking parts and was a part of 3 songs, with dance moves. I was glad she was picked to be in the play (a few did not make the cut) and that she had a small part to begin with. (A bigger, more lines to memorize part, may have turned her off and made her frustrated.) She says next time she'll be ready for more lines and a bigger part.

It was so interesting to me, (I absolutely LOVE behind-the-scenes stuff) that I hung out the WHOLE week at practice. I was a "stage mom". It was so cool the way the directors taught the kids, learned each one of their names (60+ kids!) and put the whole thing together. Even by the night before the performance, a few kids with big speaking parts didn't know their lines, didn't know their blocking and many kids weren't speaking loud enough to be heard. One of the directors turned to me and another mom and said, "Will you think it's a miracle if this all goes as planned?" We had to admit, yes. Then she said, "Me too."

The performance DID go well and the kids did great! I plan on letting any of my kids that want to, participate in the future. It's free, it's intense for ONLY a week and it's a really neat opportunity. I'm so glad that we took part. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Check to see if they are coming to your area www.mctinc.org.
The whole cast; Forest Shadows(Taylee far left, in front, with purple/green hat and gloves) Ranger Rooney, Raccoons, The 3 Little Pigs, Mama Hood, Sister Hood, Brother Hood, Baby Hood and their cousin Robin Hood, Locksmith, Woodsman, The Wolf Gang, Little Lovable Wolf, The Big Bad Wolf, Granny, Red Riding Hood and her Girlfriends.
The Forest Shadows- Fire and Poisonous Plants (Taylee is on the bottom row, 5th over, with purple and green hat.)

Behind the scenes, turning in costumes and saying good-bye.



Director Jen with her Big Bad Wolf make-up still on.

Congratulations Thistle Taylee!

3 comments:

Lora Dawn said...

I loved getting to watch Taylee do her hand movements and see all her costume changes. Thanks for all your hard work, Taylee. I had fun watching.

Krissi said...

This sounds so awesome. I'm contacting them about coming to our school. Since I am now PTO co-president!! I know I'm crazy:)

angela said...

The Missoula Company came to Preston and this is where Nanette got her start as a flower in Wizard of Oz. I wasn't a back stage mom but observed the tryouts, pretty cool how they selected by groups and it came together.