Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

Along with our normal Easter tradition of a Jerusalem dinner, I like to try something new. In the past its been a lentil soup or fruit/nut salad that's traditional of passover.

This year I decided to make "flatbread".

I don't know if you're familiar with flatbread, but it's not "unleavened" because it does contain yeast. I didn't really know what I was doing, but the family seemed to appreciate and enjoy it.


Our Jerusalem dinner, minus the variety of figs, because no one really likes/eats them. Also minus the grapes and olives, because I forgot to buy them. Oops.


The beloved goat cheese WAS there, so hopefully the forgotten food was forgiven.


Another new idea this year was to talk about Christ's week, leading up to Easter (Palm Sunday, cleansing of the temple, etc.). My idea was to show a picture and read scriptures each night. With a busy week and too much going on, we got through the first 3 days, but fizzled out. So on Sunday we made up for lost time and talked about the additional days. This was an especially good discussion.


Next, we watched a two part movie called, "The Last Days in the Life of Jesus". It was done by "Living Scriptures" and was narrated by Dr. W. Cleon Skousen. As he walked through the modern day Jerusalem, he talked about Christ's week leading up to the crucifixion/burial/resurrection. It was VERY interesting and really helped, even Jason and I, put together days and events in a chronological way. There were many details that I had never imagined quite the way he told it. I guess I only had artist pictures to illustrate the story in my head.... and it was different than that.


The movie could have been considered boring by the kids, but even they settled down and found some interest in it... maybe the popcorn helped too. :)


When you get passed the cheesy beginning, poor film quality and 1985 styles... it's GREAT! I would highly recommend it. We may make it a part of our Easter tradition every year.


Anyone want to borrow it? I'll just need it back by next Easter, thanks.



1 comment:

A*Waite said...

I love this tradition.