Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Surprise Cake

I found instructions on the internet, on how to make a "flag cake". It looked so cool I decided I had to try it for our 4th of July celebration.

It required 2 boxes of white cake mix, divided and colored.
With the EXTRA batter, I made cupcakes.


As I started to assemble the cake, I read and re-read the instructions, but something wasn't turning out right. My blue layer was too tall, making a hole in the middle of the cake. My kids kept saying, "Mom, just fill the hole in with frosting and you wont' be able to tell the difference." I like frosting, but that didn't seem like the best solution to me. I finally decided I would cut the blue layer down, making it even with the inside layers. That's not what the instructions said, but I wasn't going with the "frosting solution".


Don't know if I messed up somewhere or if the instructions had some fault. I crossed my fingers and hoped that it would turn out.


On second thought, maybe there wasn't supposed to be EXTRA batter. Maybe I was supposed to have baked another layer to fill in my "hole". Oops.

I finished it off with vanilla frosting and made a cute little red, white and blue banner for the top.


I brought it to our 4th of July celebration and waited to reveal the surprise inside... please work out, please work out, please work out. :)

2 comments:

A*Waite said...

So very cute, and yummy too.

Arianne said...

okay, that is a seriously cool cake, I love it!