It was the last week of school. Another 5th grade mom asked me what Treyson was doing for his science experiment. What?! I hadn't heard of any science experiment. Then I found out it was due in 2 days! Nice.
I got on the internet and tried to find something that could be done quickly. Of course there were tons of ideas, but many took several days or weeks. Then I came across a popcorn experiment. I wasn't sure it was that "scientific" but it could be done in our time frame.
We bought 3 different brands of popcorn and wanted to see which one popped the best (least amount of unpopped kernels). Treyson's hypothesis was that "Pop Secret" would pop the best, because it is a popular brand. His theory proved to be correct... by ONE kernel. The store brand (Fred Meyer) was definitely the worst and the cheapest. I guess you really do get what you pay for.
Counting kernels
To top it off, we were informed that he needed a poster with specific requirements, as well as having to explain orally about his experiment. We put it all together to the tune of around $16! Crazy.
My favorite part was the "Acknowledgements" section; "My mom bought the popcorn and helped me to pop and collect the data. My dad helped me print and make my display poster. My siblings helped me to eat all of the leftover popcorn." :)
I've said this before, but I'll say it again... I thought my days of homework were over when I finished school.
Not so...sooo not so.
1 comment:
Fun research topic, Treyson.
Let me know when you do some chocolate research....cause I think I want to help you with the leftovers then!
Post a Comment