Sunday, November 18, 2012

Visiting Grandma Ison

Saturday, November 17th, Grandma Ison had a stroke. The doctors told us that this was something she would not recover from.

On Sunday evening, after the Boise Temple re-dedication, the kids and I decided to go visit her. We left Jason home to keep our dinner appointment, to feed the missionaries, as we trekked to Caldwell.
I left the decision up to each of the kids if they wanted to go. I explained, to the best of my ability, about what they might see or what it might be like. I said I thought this would be the last time we would see her before she went to heaven. Each of them agreed to go. --Treyson took the longest to make the decision. He was worried about Jason being lonely at home and having to feed the missionaries on his own. He may have been a little worried about Grandma too.

It was a peaceful, happy time, mixed with a few tears. I held Grandma's hand as she breathed heavily...tapering off to shallow..then back to heavy. She was fevered and quite warm. She didn't look like her normal self.

Jana, Kevin, Arielle and Mom were there (and had been there since the day before)..and Tim/Karen and family came later. (Others had visited the day/night before.) We talked about the Youth Cultural Celebration from Saturday night (Rylee and Taylee got to be a part of) and shared our thoughts/feelings about the temple re-dedication from that day.

Eventually, we had a family prayer. Tim gave a very sweet prayer, leaving most of us in tears. Then Tim and Kevin gave Grandma a blessing. Kevin told Grandma that we loved her, thanked her for her wonderful example to us and told her that she could leave mortality whenever she was ready.

Before we left we took turns saying good-bye. By then, the kids had warmed up to the idea of touching her hand. We told her we loved her and then headed back home.

The next morning, Grandma was transferred to Jana/Kevin's home. They were given instructions through Hospice care, about how to make Grandma comfortable. Mom, Jana and Kevin cared for her that day. Early, early Tuesday morning, November 20th, Grandma Ison went back to heaven to be with Grandpa, Aunt Hertha, and many other loved ones.

I feel blessed that I was able to visit Grandma, before she passed away. It has touched me in a way, I won't forget. Being around her, strengthened my testimony of death being just the next step... not nearly as scary or terrible as my fears want it to be. I feel like I was taught by Grandma, even when she wasn't responsive. What a great example she is to me about enduring to the end.

We love you Grandma Ison!

2 comments:

Lora Dawn said...

Tears and a tender heart here.
What a wonderful summary and tribute to your Grandma.
Beautifully written.

Candice said...

tears here. i'm so glad you got to see her. i love that you were learning from her to the end. such an amazing influence on all of us