Friday, December 26, 2008

Family Gift Exchange

One of our Christmas traditions is to give a gift to one of our family members. We draw names and then head to the dollar store to buy for our (secret) person.
This year, we did things a little different. Instead of purchasing a gift, we decided to make gifts for one another. Jason drew Treyson's name. His gift was a picture of Woody and Buzz on canvas. He didn't have time to finish before Christmas, but plans on having it painted and totally done by the end of the week. --I can't wait. I've been wanting a painting from Jason, since we got married. --Treyson LOVES "Toy Story" (still) and will love having this hanging in his bedroom.
I had Rylee's name. I monogramed a towel for her. She's been needing/wanting her own towel again. (She lost her other one.) Not the most exciting gift, but one she'll appreciate over and over.
Rylee had Jason's name. She (with a little help from me) made him a neck roll. He can't sleep on a normal pillow (or even special pillows from the chiropractor for that matter). He usually just rolls up a towel for the night. It's actually a cover, so if the foam we put in it breaks down or doesn't work for him, he can put his rolled up towel in it. :o) So far, so good.
Taylee had Abree's name. She (with help) made Abree a tu-tu and matching headband. (I'd seen tutorials on these and had been wanting to make one. This was a perfect opportunity. It was easy enough Taylee could fully participate AND something that Abree would love.) It took us quite a while, but Taylee stuck with it and loved the results.
I think she likes it. Don't you???
Treyson had Taylee's name. Treyson (with help and encouragement) made this bracelet for Taylee. It's made out of little safety pins and beads/pearls. He did such a good job and worked REALLY hard on it. At one point, (I hadn't been paying attention to his progress) when I looked up I noticed some had been strung backwards. We had to undo his great progress. At first, he was disappointed and a little discouraged, but at las' endured to the end. I was so proud of him. --The best part was when Taylee opened the gift. As she opened it and saw what it was she exclaimed, "Oh Buddy, it's so pretty. Thank you!" And then she gave him a great big hug. So sweet. (Choked Jason and I up. As parents don't we just live for those moments?!)
Abree had my name. I didn't know how this would go. I had been the one helping with all of the gifts. Jason didn't have lots of time to help and didn't know what to do. I had made a few cooking suggestions; fudge, no-bake cookies, but to my surprise when I opened my gift I found these 2 cute little heart-shaped pillows (and drawings). Rylee had helped Abree make them the day before. She had used the sewing machine and everything. Where was I? Why didn't I hear the sewing machine??? I don't know... a little Christmas miracle. :o)
We LOVED how this turned out. I believe we will be repeating this new tradition again and again and again.

5 comments:

Martha said...

What a great idea...I wonder how that would work in my house???
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Rachel said...

How fun! I especially liked the bracelet. How did you do it?

Hey, thanks for inviting me to your blog. It's so good to see what you're up to and how your family has grown. I keep forgetting our oldest kids are only a few weeks apart- mine just turned 12, too, and I keep wondering, how did that happen?

Candice said...

Wow! I love this idea. I feel like we may be able to pull that off next year. You are so creative! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

Tiffany Hales said...

What a great family tradition, in addition to creating awesome memories, and encouraging love within your family. You are a great mom, even though I know somedays you probably don't feel that way!

kura2025 said...

What a cute idea! They made some really neat stuff!