I felt like my sister-in-law Karen, when I made these granola bars.
She's always making yummy food from scratch and is health conscience too.
The brown sugar and honey is what might make them not-so-healthy.
I think they taste as good, or better, than brand-name-buy-at-the-store kind.
Make some and tell me what YOU think.
Make some and tell me what YOU think.
Pantry Granola Bars -recipe from Sarah Foutz
2 C. Oats
1 C. Coconut
1/2 C. Wheat germ
1/2 C. Flax seed meal
*1 C. Rice Krispies (set aside, don't toast with other ingredients)
Toast on a baking sheet at 400 for 15 minutes (maybe a little longer, just until toasty). Stir every 5 minutes. After toasting, put ingredients into large bowl.
In a sauce pan, combine the following:
2/3 C. Brown sugar
1/2 C. Honey
4 Tbl. Butter
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 tsp Vanilla
Heat in sauce pan until sugar is dissolved but don't boil. Pour over dry ingredients and combine with *1 C. Rice Krispies. Press into greased 9x13 pan and let cool for 2-3 hours before cutting into bars.
Hint: These freeze well. You can individually wrap them and pull them out for a snack, sack lunch, etc.
Add-ins:
Add-ins:
Chocolate Chips
Butterscotch Chips
Raisins
Craisins
Cinnamon
Slivered Almonds
When I made these I doubled the recipe and pressed them into a greased cookie sheet. I added Craisins and slivered almonds to my recipe. When they were cool, I cut them up, wrapped them individually and put them in the freezer. I think freezing them, helped hide them from the kids and made them last longer. Now if I could just forget they are there, they would last even longer. :) YUM!
4 comments:
Looks yummy! Just last night I was wondering if I could make my own granola bars. And look! You've answered that question nicely!
D-licious! I am happy that I could inspire you to make granola bars! :) That recipe looks really yummy! We can't go a day without having ours in the freezer, if you ever want another recipe to experiment with, let me know, I can give you mine! :)Love the versatility of granola bars, you can throw anything in them!
Yumm, I might have ti give it a try.
Just made my first batch, I can't wait until they have cooled, so we can give them a try.
I added in craisens and sunflower seeds.
Post a Comment