Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Representative Amongst Us

Friday was an exciting day.



Not only did Taylee receive awards, but Rylee was giving her speech for her

"Rocky Mountain Freshman Representative" campaign.

Zoe Doman, Megan Murphy, Melissa Brown, Rylee, Justine Jewell & Erin Todd



Megan, Melissa, Rylee and Erin were running for next year's Freshman Representative(s), along with Nathan Yorgason and Erika Vives (not pictured).



Going into Rocky Mountain High School 6 representatives are needed; 3 from Heritage and 3 from Sawtooth. So there were 3 positions available from Heritage.... 2 elected, 1 appointed.

Rylee told me that she was pretty sure Erin had it in the bag...she's well known and well liked (popular). She was hoping that her and Melissa might be the other 2 reps. Both Melissa and Erin are in our ward. What a great team they would be. Font size

Rylee's campaign slogan was,


"It will make you SMILEY, if you vote for RYLEE!"



In her speech she included why she would be a good representative and things she could do to make them SMILE. Her signs around the school were bright yellow with smiley faces and she wore a bright yellow shirt, along with her yellow flip-flops.

Unfortunately I missed hearing her speech, because I was in the awards assembly, but I caught up with her right after. She was still shaking from adrenalin. She said she thought it went ok, but kind of felt like she stumbled over her words and completely left out a whole sentence. While I was there she was interviewed by a teacher. She told me that this teacher interviewed each candidate to be able to choose the "appointed" position.



She said she asked questions like, "Why do you think you would be good for this position?", "On a scale of 1 to 10, what would you give yourself?", "What are some of your strengths?" etc.




She told me how she answered. I was quite impressed with her quick-thinking, confidence and applicable responses. Wow.




We waited around to see if they would have the voting results, before school was out.


Nope. We went home without knowing the results. We were told they would email us or give the results to them at school.... on Monday! What?! That's just waaay too long to wait.




When we got home and tried to check email, it wasn't working. Within a few minutes of getting home, Rylee got a phone call from her good friend (and running partner) Melissa.



Taylee and I guessed who was on the phone and what the conversation was, by Rylee's response; a wide-eyed pause, then a squeal and then a happy, run -round dance all over the room, followed by lots and lots more squeals and some "I can't believe it's". :)



Rylee, Melissa and Erin are Rocky Mountain's newest Freshman Representatives!



Congratulations girls!

I'm so excited for you. I think you'll make it a GREAT year.




PS- The little squeals and outburts of excitement continued all night long and into the next day. :)

3 comments:

Candice said...

I felt like squealing!!! Yay! I'm so excited for her. What a way to start High School, huh?

A*Waite said...

Rylee you will be a great at this!

Lora Dawn said...

Way to meet and greet - - -and influence the crowds, Rylee.
Congratualations.