Monday, September 1, 2008

Unplugged

The week before school started up again, our family went "unplugged". This meant no tv, no movies, no video games, no radio/cd player and no computer. I thought it would be a good way to get our brains in gear for school. We'd done enough of being "plugged in" during the summer and we needed to go COLD TURKEY to break the cycle. :o)

I have to admit, this was mostly to prove to myself that I could do it. (I am a self-admitting t.v. addict. I just LOVE it!) I'd never done anything like it and wanted to experiment to see how I handled it, along with my family. We purposely planned a few family outings in the evenings and made a long list of things we could possibly do without being "plugging in". (This was for the times when I predicted the kids would say, "There's nothing to do.")

I'm happy to report that the week actually went quite well. No one cheated (that I am aware of), no one was badly hurt and we did a lot more reading and playing than normal. (I read 5 books myself... and I don't consider myself a big reader.) It went so well we're considering making it a tradition, doing it the week before school starts, each year.

4 comments:

A*Waite said...

That is a great idea. I think I could go for that one. Of coarse I don't get in much tv anyway, but I would have a tough time with out the internet for a week.

Nicky said...

We did that a couple summers ago, only we unplugged for the entire summer. It was really hard at first, then it became "normal". I don't know why we ever plugged back in. Breaking the habit is the hardest part! However, that was before I had blogs to check - don't know if I could do it now - I'm addicted!!!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Good Job!! This time of year kind of makes it a little bit easier since there's nothing on TV. I should have joined you that week. Maybe next year:)

Lora Dawn said...

Wow---that sounds so useful for going from one season to the next. I did just the opposite - - staying up L-A-T-E as I could, sucking up and expanding the last choices of summer nights!