For my birthday, my sweet friends Marianne and Jaime took me to dinner and then we went back to Jaime's house to craft. We made these holiday countdowns. One for Halloween...
When finished, something kept bothering me about it. I finally realized that it was the "countdown" that was bugging me. The background was burgundy and the lettering was white. It just didn't fit with the numbers and colors of the background papers. So I peeled off the old "countdown" and replaced it with a new and improved "countdown".
Here's the finished product. A true red background with a green letters.
Ahhhh, much better!
Don't say it... I already know... I can be a little... whatever you want to call it. But in my defense, I was sending it to a "Handmade Gift" swap partner and I didn't want to give her something that BUGGED me... it might BUG her too.
I wasn't satisfied with the stenciled JOY because of how the paint bled under the stencil, so I purchased some vinyl and slapped it on and liked it a whole lot better.
See?! Much better, huh?
Don't say it!... we've already discussed this. It too was a gift. Can't give a gift that BUGS you. :)
Next step was to decorate them. Instructions called for little red berries or glittery spray paint. I opted for the "natural" look.
I think my "Stiffy" wasn't as stiff as it should have been (it was 18 years old, or so!) so my trees started to "wilt". I may try this project again with not so old "Stiffy" to see if it works better.
Here are what hers looked like... so cool!
Photo from "Chris, Erin and Jayce" blogI found this project here.
Instead of making the bookends, I found mine at a thrift store. I liked the beadboard look, the time savings and the price. :)
I used soup cans, wooden circles and cotton yarn to complete the spools.
I also added my own touch by creating and printing off decorative "labels" for the spools.
I think they turned out kinda cute.
5 comments:
I LOVE every project you made!
Darling stuff! Okay, where did you get your blocks for you countdowns, did you cut them yourself? I really want to try a few of these!
Those cones are cool. I think you get a better shape by making your own cone, more original.
Yea for the Joy platter. Beautiful. Thanks.
Your spool book ends are so perfect for your MIL----a big time cute.
So cute! I love every single one!! Makes me want to be crafty...not something I desire to do very often!
Post a Comment